When your vehicle lease is at the end of its term, there are a few things to keep in mind to help you prepare for what’s next. AFG makes the process easy for you. This website provides more detailed information about your end of term options and what to expect if you choose the turn-in option.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the process.
The AFG Team
- Purchase and keep your vehicle.
- Choose the turn-in option at the end of your lease term. If you choose the turn-in option, an AFG End of Term Specialist will contact you to coordinate the next steps in the process.
- You will maintain the Vehicle in good working order and repair. You will pay all operating costs, such as gasoline, oil, and replacement tires. You will, at your expense, service the Vehicle according to the owner’s manual maintenance schedule. If the Vehicle is recalled, you will have the recall repairs or service performed. You will use original equipment manufacturer’s parts or those of equal value, quality, and performance, in the maintenance and service of the Vehicle. We may, but are not required to, provide you with a replacement vehicle for any reason. You will maintain and keep in the Vehicle a record of all maintenance performed on the Vehicle. This maintenance record will be available to AFG at any time, and will be provided to AFG at the end of the Lease.
- If you leased a pre-owned vehicle, your residual value guarantee is subject to review of the vehicle’s history which AFG obtains prior to lease maturity. If your vehicle’s history indicates it is: a Grey Market vehicle (manufactured for sale outside of the US), a Manufacturer’s Buyback (Lemon Law) vehicle, a frame damaged vehicle (prior to purchase ), or is mechanically unsound beyond insurable repair (salvaged/ flood damage), AFG’s residual value guarantee is null and void.
- Vehicles that sustain structural damage after the lease inception are subject to residual reductions as determined by AFG upon completion of the end of lease inspections.
For complete details on your responsibilities, please refer to your lease contract.
Sixty days prior to maturity, you will receive log in credentials via email providing access to AFG’s Online Vehicle Return Portal. This portal will allow you to learn more about your options at maturity, update your contact information with AFG and let us know what you plan to do with your vehicle. If you choose the turn-in option and decide to return your vehicle, you will be able to track the return process through this portal.
If you choose the turn-in option, an authorized AFG End of Term Specialist will offer you the opportunity to complete a self-inspection using AFG’s online app or schedule a third-party preliminary vehicle inspection. Either inspection option takes approximately 30 minutes or less. If you chose the third-party inspection, it can be done at your home, or another mutually agreed upon location.
Upon completion of the inspection a preliminary assessment of any chargeable excess mileage and/or wear and tear is provided to you. If excess wear and tear is identified during the inspection, and you still choose to return your vehicle, you can have repairs made prior to surrendering it to AFG.
AFG’s authorized transportation services will contact you to schedule transport of your vehicle to a facility where a final inspection is completed by an authorized AFG representative. Please note: You are responsible for paying all applicable charges related to excess mileage, wear and tear and vehicle disposition directly to the financial institution.
You must notify AFG of your intent to exercise the turn-in option no later than 30 days prior to your lease maturity date.
- Body scratches or dents over one inch in length or diameter or a series of smaller ones
- Mismatched paint if areas have been repainted and special fleet colors or identification have been used
- Chrome and other bright metal exterior trim with scratches through to the metal over two inches long
- Dents larger than one inch in length or diameter or series of smaller dents in the same piece of molding, including headlight bezels
- Broken or damaged grills
- Bumper dents over six inches in size inches in length or diameter
- NOTE: Vehicles may be returned with winter tires between November 1 and March 31. Winter tires must meet the specifications noted above to be acceptable.
WINDSHIELD AND GLASS
- Cracks over one inch in length in the windshield or pitted, chipped, scratched or cracks less than one inch in length in the windshield that hampers the driver’s vision or prevents the vehicle from passing a state inspection
- Cracked or broken glass other than the windshield
- Broken lenses or sealed beams
WHEELS AND TIRES
- Damaged wheels/rims
- Corrosion, rust or scuffed rims (greater than 3 inches)
- Mismatched, bent, cracked or broken wheels, wheel covers or trim rings
- Tires must be all of the same brand and the correct size for the vehicle
- Tires must have at least 5/32 of tread
- Inoperative window mechanisms
- Seat, seat backs, headlining, door panel, dash or carpeting either torn, ripped, stained, worn out, damaged or burned
- Any damage which would be covered by collision or comprehensive insurance whether or not such insurance is actually in force
- You are responsible for servicing, repairing and maintaining your vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Brakes and rotors must be in good working condition with a minimum of 2mm of pad. Failure to do so may result in significant reductions to the value of your vehicle at lease maturity if you choose the turn-in option.
- The cost of repairs, if any, determined by the final inspection is based on the current national average repair rate.
How long does the turn-in process take?
Approximately 30 days prior to maturity date, you will be sent instructions on how to complete your primary cosmetic vehicle inspection. Once you have completed the inspection, and you have received your preliminary inspection condition assessment, an authorized vehicle transportation company will contact you to schedule a pick-up date and time. When the vehicle is secured by AFG, your final assessment charges will normally be emailed within 20 days of vehicle pickup. If there are mechanical or body damage concerns, the process may take additional time.
Who do I pay my final assessment fees to?
Your charges are paid directly to your financial institution.
Do I have to wait until the end of my lease term, before I can sell or trade my lease?
No, you don’t have to wait until lease end, but before you can sell or trade the leased (rented) vehicle, you must first purchase it. This amount is calculated based on the total of all remaining lease payments plus the lease ‘buy out’ (residual value) amount, and “Early Termination Purchase Fees” may also apply. Since purchase options and fees varies by lender/lienholder, you need to contact your lender/lienholder or check your lease contract for more information. As soon as you are the vehicle’s title holder, you may sell, trade, or refinance the vehicle anytime.
Is there a termination fee if I pay off or refinance my lease early?
Possibly. This varies by lender/lienholder. Either contact your lender/lienholder directly for this information or check your lease contract for more information.
Do I need to complete an inspection if I am purchasing or trading the vehicle?
No. You are only required to complete an inspection if you choose to turn in your vehicle to AFG.