When your vehicle loan is at the end of its term, there are a few things to keep in mind to help you prepare for what’s next. AFG makes the process easy for you. This website provides more detailed information about your end of term options and what to expect if you choose the “walk-away” option.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the process.
The AFG Team
- KEEP YOUR CURRENT VEHICLE (PAY OFF OR REFINANCE)
As the vehicle owner, you can pay off your loan in full with no pre-payment penalty any time during your loan term through a refinance or cash pay off. Simply contact your lender for your remaining loan payoff balance. Vehicles paid off in cash or refinanced with a conventional loan are not subject to over mileage and/or excess wear and tear charges. Also, after a loan has been paid off the vehicle return option is no longer available unless it has been refinanced with another AFG auto balloon loan.
- SELL YOUR VEHICLE
Planning on selling your vehicle via a private sale? You can sell your vehicle any time during your loan term. Simply call your lender to get your 10 day pay-off amount and pay off your loan balance as soon as the sale is complete. By choosing to sell your vehicle, you avoid any potential over mileage and/or excess wear and tear charges.
- TRADE IN YOUR VEHICLE
You can trade in your vehicle any time during your loan term. By choosing to trade in your vehicle, you avoid potential over mileage and/or excess wear and tear charges. Vehicle trade benefits may include tax benefits (varies by state), and potentially more money for your trade than your loan payoff. If you’d like to finance your next vehicle through the auto balloon loan program, we can help direct you to your dealership and/or lender.
- TURN IN YOUR VEHICLE TO AFG (WALK-AWAY OPTION)
Want to surrender your vehicle and simply walk-away from your final balloon payment at loan maturity? You will find all the information you need on the process on this website.
- You are the owner of the vehicle and are responsible for keeping the vehicle insured, serviced, repaired, and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. If you do not, the value of your vehicle may be reduced at loan maturity.
- If you purchased a pre-owned vehicle, your end value guarantee is subject to review of the vehicle’s history which AFG obtains prior to loan maturity. If your vehicle’s history indicates it is: a Grey Market vehicle (manufactured for sale outside of the US), a Manufacturer’s Buyback (Lemon Law) vehicle, a frame damaged vehicle (prior to purchase ), or is mechanically unsound beyond insurable repair (salvaged/ flood damage), AFG’s residual value guarantee is null and void.
- Vehicles that sustain structural damage after you have purchased the vehicle are subject to residual reductions as determined by AFG upon completion of the end of loan term inspections.
- Sixty days prior to maturity, you will receive login credentials via email providing access to AFG’s online vehicle return portal, which allows you to learn more about your options at maturity, update your contact information with AFG and let us know what you plan to do with your vehicle. If you choose the “walk-away option” and decide to return your vehicle, you will be able to track the return process through this portal.
- If you do choose the “walk away” option, an authorized AFG End of Term Specialist (EOTS) will offer you the opportunity to complete a self-inspection using AFG’s online app or schedule a third-party preliminary vehicle inspection. This inspection takes approximately 30 minutes and can be done at your home or another mutually agreed upon location.
- Upon completion of the inspection a preliminary assessment of any chargeable excess mileage and/or wear and tear is provided to you. If excess wear and tear is identified during the inspection, and you still choose to return your vehicle, you can have repairs made prior to surrendering it to AFG.
- After reviewing the preliminary assessment, if you still plan to return your vehicle, AFG will notify the vehicle transport service to contact you to schedule a vehicle pick up date at a mutually agreed upon location. Please keep the vehicle insured until the transporter has taken possession of it. Within 5-7 days of the vehicle’s delivery, AFG will provide you with a final assessment of fees and charges assessed in both inspections which are to be paid immediately directly to the lender. You will be notified by email when the vehicle is delivered to its final destination.
- If you are in a state where you maintain the title to the vehicle, you are requested to mail it to AFG at the below address at this time. Please use a shipping service that will provide you with a tracking number, to ensure proper delivery.
Auto Financial Group
Attn: End of Term Department
5555 San Felipe, Suite 2100
Houston, TX 77056
Please note: You are responsible for paying all applicable charges related to excess mileage, wear and tear and vehicle disposition directly to your lender.
You must notify AFG of your intent to exercise the “walk away” option no later than 30 days prior to your loan maturity date.
- Body scratches or dents over one inch in length or diameter or a series of smaller ones
- Mismatched paint if areas have been repainted and special fleet colors or identification have been used
- Chrome and other bright metal exterior trim with scratches through to the metal over two inches long
- Dents larger than one inch in length or diameter or series of smaller dents in the same piece of molding, including headlight bezels
- Broken or damaged grills
- Bumper dents over six inches in size inches in length or diameter
- NOTE: Vehicles may be returned with winter tires between November 1 and March 31. Winter tires must meet the specifications noted above to be acceptable.
WINDSHIELD AND GLASS
- Cracks over one inch in length in the windshield or pitted, chipped, scratched or cracks less than one inch in length in the windshield that hampers the driver’s vision or prevents the vehicle from passing a state inspection.
- Cracked or broken glass other than the windshield
- Broken lenses or sealed beams
WHEELS AND TIRES
- Damaged wheels/rims
- Corrosion, rust or scuffed rims (greater than 3 inches)
- Mismatched, bent, cracked or broken wheels, wheel covers or trim rings
- Tires must be all of the same brand and the correct size for the vehicle
- Tires must have at least 5/32 of tread
- Inoperative window mechanisms
- Seat, seat backs, headlining, door panel, dash or carpeting either torn, ripped, stained, worn out, damaged or burned
- Any damage which would be covered by collision or comprehensive insurance whether or not such insurance is actually in force
- You are responsible for servicing, repairing and maintaining your vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Brakes and rotors must be in good working condition with a minimum of 2mm of pad. Failure to do so may result in significant reductions to the value of your vehicle at loan maturity if you choose to return your vehicle as a collateral payoff of your final balloon payment.
- The cost of repairs, if any, determined by the final inspection is based on the current national average repair rate.
How long does the return process take?
Approximately 30 days prior to maturity date, you will be sent instructions on how to complete your primary cosmetic vehicle inspection. Once you have completed the inspection, and you have received your preliminary inspection condition assessment, an authorized vehicle transportation company will contact you to schedule a pick-up date and time. When the vehicle is secured by AFG, your final assessment charges will normally be emailed within 20 days of vehicle pickup. If there are mechanical or body damage concerns, the process may take additional time.
Who do I pay my final assessment fees to?
Your charges are paid directly to your financial institution.
Do I still have to pay my disposition fee if I trade it in?
No, there are no fees or charges if you trade in your vehicle. The dealership will call your financial institution for the 10-day payoff.
Do I have to wait to the end of term before I can trade or sell the vehicle?
No, you can trade or sell your vehicle anytime during your term without incurring any additional fees or penalty. You need to call your financial institution for your payoff balance and notify AFG that you are closing your account.
Do I need to complete an inspection if I am selling, trading or refinancing the vehicle?
No. You are only required to complete an inspection if you choose to return your vehicle to AFG.